Alan K. Henderson's Weblog

HOME   |   BLOGGER PROFILE   |   BLOGROLL  MAP   |   HENDERSON  PRIZE   |   EMAIL

COMMENTS TEMPORARILY CLOSED - MIGRATING FROM HALOSCAN/ECHO TO DISQUS
Old comments migrated to Disqus, currently working outtechnical issues

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

 
Johnny Depp, Part Deux

Regarding the post below, it turns out that the news story Ann Althouse and I reported doesn't correspond with its title.

Ann's source, from Townhall Finance: Johnny Depp Flees France Over Tax Hikes. Its source, from the Houston Chronicle: Johnny Depp moves back to America to avoid paying taxes in France.

The Townhall title implies that some change in French tax policy is driving Depp away. Not quite:

However, Depp has now moved his family out of France after government officials asked him to become a permanent resident, as he feared he would end up paying tax in both countries.

He tells Britain’s The Guardian newspaper, “Well, I kind of do (live back in America). I’m between wherever I end up on location, and then the States. (I left because) France wanted a piece of me. They wanted me to become a permanent resident. Permanent residency status – which changes everything. They just want… Dough. Money… I’m certainly not ready to give up my American citizenship.”

Depp goes on to explain that if he spends more than 183 days a year in France he will have to pay income tax in both Europe and America, adding, “So you essentially work for free.”
Depp left because France was about to force him into its taxing jurisdiction. Not the same thing as a tax hike. That doesn't mean that French tax policy - or ours - bears no resemblance to Lord Cutler Beckett.

Labels: ,




Site Meter


Blogger