Alan K. Henderson's Weblog

HOME   |   BLOGGER PROFILE   |   BLOGROLL  MAP   |   HENDERSON  PRIZE   |   EMAIL

COMMENTS TEMPORARILY CLOSED - MIGRATING FROM HALOSCAN/ECHO TO DISQUS
Old comments migrated to Disqus, currently working outtechnical issues

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

 
Cory Maye To Win His Freedom

In 2001, police had conducted a raid on his duplex apartment. According to Maye, they did not identify themselves as police. He shot an officer who died from his wound. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to death. The sentence was reduced to life imprisonment in 2006.

Radley Balko's report on various irregularities surrounding the case brought national attention. Last year a new trial was held. Maye agreed to plead guilty to a manslaughter charge, carrying a sentence of ten years - which he has already served by now.

In a letter to Balko, Maye explains why he agreed to the manslaughter plea:

We just felt that regardless of the facts and evidence that pointed in my favor, there was the possibility that one or more jurors could not see it my way, causing a mistrial. That could leave me sitting here another nine months or more, or longer if it keeps repeating that way.

This is Mississippi, and some people refuse to let go of their old ways from the old days. I just didn’t want to put my family through any more heartache, and didn’t want to have to wait any longer. It was take a chance of a mistrial, or grab hold of my future and be the man/father/friend that I can be, and that my family loves and misses.

Labels: ,




Site Meter


Blogger