Alan K. Henderson's Weblog

HOME   |   BLOGGER PROFILE   |   BLOGROLL  MAP   |   HENDERSON  PRIZE   |   EMAIL

COMMENTS TEMPORARILY CLOSED - MIGRATING FROM HALOSCAN/ECHO TO DISQUS
Old comments migrated to Disqus, currently working outtechnical issues

Monday, October 19, 2009

 
Two Different Takes On Anita Dunn's Mao Remark

Sure, I could probably cherry-pick all sorts of useful tactics from a variety of lowlifes. (Aren't a lot of conservatives touting Saul Alinsky these says?) But if I have the opportunity to address the topic of philosophy before high school students, I want to name names that I want the students to remember, names of thinkers whose overall work is praiseworthy. Names like Thomas Jefferson or Thomas Sowell. If I mention villains, I will mention them in context with their villainy.

And what of the advice itself?

In 1947, when Mao Tse Tung was being challenged within his own party on his plan to basically take China over, Chiang Kai-Shek and the nationalist Chinese held the cities, they had the army. They had the air force. They had everything on their side, and people said how can you win? How can you do this? How can you do this? Against all the odds against you, and Mao Tse Tung said, you know, you fight your war, and I'll fight mine, and think about that for a second.

Most fights against the odds lose. Mao's remark offers no guide to bettering those odds. In endeavors of competition, I'd turn to a different Chinese source for that sort of thing.

Labels: ,




Site Meter


Blogger