Alan K. Henderson's Weblog

HOME   |   BLOGGER PROFILE   |   BLOGROLL  MAP   |   HENDERSON  PRIZE   |   EMAIL

COMMENTS TEMPORARILY CLOSED - MIGRATING FROM HALOSCAN/ECHO TO DISQUS
Old comments migrated to Disqus, currently working outtechnical issues

Thursday, April 23, 2009

 
Shakespeare's Birthday

NRO gathers a symposium to discuss their favorites among his plays. King Lear is the popular favorite, and it's high on my list, too.

W. C. Fields would have made a great Polonius in Hamlet. "This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. Farewell; my blessing season this in thee! Now get away from me kid, you bother me."

Among my dubious talents I can recite this portion of Hamlet's soliloquy from memory in a single breath:

To be, or not to be--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them.

I always thought Romeo and Juliet was overrated. The one high point was Mercutio's antics. I didn't see anything special about the star-crossed teenage puppy-lovers. Charlotte Allen calls it "a play for girls." Maybe it's a Y-Chromosome thing, but I don't understand what girls see in Romeo. Then again, I don't understand what they saw in Leo DiCaprio's character from Titanic. That movie needed a Mercutio - and Rose shoulda run off with him.

Labels:




Site Meter


Blogger