Alan K. Henderson's Weblog

HOME   |   BLOGGER PROFILE   |   BLOGROLL  MAP   |   HENDERSON  PRIZE   |   EMAIL

COMMENTS TEMPORARILY CLOSED - MIGRATING FROM HALOSCAN/ECHO TO DISQUS
Old comments migrated to Disqus, currently working outtechnical issues

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

 
Fisking The Jukebox 1

This launches a new meme that looks into annoying song lyrics. It's a target rich environment, and a conventient diversion for whenever I run out of stuff to blog about.

Today's target is Meredith Brooks' Bitch. The chorus is familiar to many (emphasis added):

I'm a bitch
I'm a lover
I'm a child
I'm a mother
I'm a sinner
I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell
I'm you dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

The portions in boldface lose every ounce of male sympathy for the song's persona. She wants him to adapt, to "take me as I am" - but she is completely unwilling to adapt by making herself a better person ("I cant change"). Guys want a woman who feels some measure of regret about her flaws and is willing to grow up, not one who fates herself to a perpetual state of manic depression, nice half the time and hostile, tactless and selfish (qualities that define "bitch") the other half.

Unlike the subject of Sam Kinison's Wild Thing, at least she gets credit for warning the guy that she's a demon from Hell.

Labels: ,




Site Meter


Blogger